News To Use
- Written by George Burdo George Burdo
- Published: 13 June 2014 13 June 2014
Panorama High School
8015 Van Nuys Blvd.
Panorama City, CA 91402
At Burdo.Net we recognize that privacy is important. This Policy applies to all of the products, services and websites offered by Burdo.Net or offices or subcontractors (collectively, Burdo.Net's ""services""). In addition, where more detailed information is needed to explain our privacy practices, we post separate privacy notices to describe how particular services process personal information, which are accessible from this site..
If you have any questions about this Policy, please feel free to contact us through our website or write to us at the address at the top of this page.
Information we collect and how we use it:
We offer a number of services that do not require you to register for an account or provide any personal information to us, such as Burdo.Net Search. In order to provide our full range of services, we may collect the following types of information:
- Information you provide - When you sign up for a Burdo.Net Account or other Burdo.Net service or promotion that requires registration, we ask you for personal information (such as your name, email address and an account password). We may combine the information you submit under your account with information from other Burdo.Net services in order to provide you with a better experience and to improve the quality of our services. For certain services, we may give you the opportunity to opt out of combining such information.
- Log information - When you use Burdo.Net services, our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
- User communications - When you send email or other communication to Burdo.Net, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services.
- User files - When you upload a file for the purpose of completing an assignment, this file will be retained and used as the basis of assigning a grade toward completion of that assignment.
- Providing our products and services to users, including the display of customized content.
- Auditing, research and analysis in order to maintain, protect and improve our services;
- Ensuring the technical functioning of our network; and
- Developing new services.
You can find more information about how we process personal information by referring to the privacy notices for particular services.
Burdo.Net processes personal information on contracted servers in the United States of America. In some cases, we process personal information on a server outside your own country. We may process personal information to provide our own services.
Choices for personal information
When you sign up for a particular service that requires registration, we ask you to provide personal information. If we use this information in a manner different than the purpose for which it was collected, then we will ask for your consent prior to such use.
If we propose to use personal information for any purposes other than those described in this Policy and/or in the specific service notices, we will offer you an effective way to opt out of the use of personal information for those other purposes. We will not collect or use sensitive information for purposes other than those described in this Policy and/or in the specific service notices, unless we have obtained your prior consent.
You can decline to submit personal information to any of our services, in which case Burdo.Net may not be able to provide those services to you.
Burdo.Net only shares personal information with other companies or individuals outside of Burdo.Net in the following limited circumstances:
- We have your consent. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
- We provide such information to offices, subcontractors, or other trusted businesses or persons for the purpose of processing personal information on our behalf. We require that these parties agree to process such information based on our instructions and in compliance with this Policy and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
- We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, (d) comply with any directive issued by the Los Angeles Unified School District, or any administrator of the district, (e) discuss a student's academic and/or behavorial performance with their parent/legal guardian and/or administrator or other employee of the district authroized by the district to discuss such maters, or, (f) protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of Burdo.Net, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share with third parties certain pieces of aggregated, non-personal information, such as the number of users using an element or feature of our Services. Such information does not identify you individually.
Please contact us at the address above for any additional questions about the management or use of personal data.
We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, as well as physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data.
We restrict access to personal information to Burdo.Net employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our services. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations.
Burdo.Net processes personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected and in accordance with this Policy or any applicable service-specific privacy notice. We review our data collection, storage and processing practices to ensure that we only collect, store and process the personal information needed to provide or improve our services. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we process is accurate, complete, and current, but we depend on our users to update or correct their personal information whenever necessary.
Accessing and updating personal information
When you use Burdo.Net services, we make good faith efforts to provide you with access to your personal information and either to correct this data if it is inaccurate or to delete such data at your request if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes. We ask individual users to identify themselves and the information requested to be accessed, corrected or removed before processing such requests, and we may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive or systematic, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup tapes), or for which access is not otherwise required. In any case where we provide information access and correction, we perform this service free of charge, except if doing so would require a disproportionate effort. Some of our services have different procedures to access, correct or delete users' personal information. We provide the details for these procedures in the specific privacy notices or FAQs for these services.
Notice of non-compliance with European Privacy Laws (added January 2012)
This site does not comply with privacy laws of the European Union with regards to usage of cookies, and other data collection. It is our belief that this site is not required to comply with the laws of the EU because: The server for this site is not located in any member country of the EU. The intended users of the site are not located in the EU. This site is intended primarily for students of Panorama High School, located in Los Angeles, California, United States. Anyone is welcome to use the portion of the site that does not require registration, but the course work portion of the site is reserved for students of the above high school.
Burdo.Net regularly reviews its compliance with this Policy. Please feel free to direct any questions or concerns regarding this Policy or Burdo.Net's treatment of personal information by contacting us. When we receive formal written complaints at this address, it is Burdo.Net's policy to contact the complaining user regarding his or her concerns. We will cooperate with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints regarding the transfer of personal data that cannot be resolved between Burdo.Net and an individual.
Changes to this policy
If you have any additional questions or concerns about this Policy, please feel free to contact us any time.
*Yes, this document bears a striking resemblance to Google’s policy.
Updated 2018-7-1 to change the name and contact information of the school to Panorama High School.