News To Use
- Written by George Burdo George Burdo
- Published: 13 June 2014 13 June 2014
burdo.net Privacy Glossary
1. Personal information
"Personal information" is information that you provide to us which personally identifies you, such as your name, email address, or other data which can be reasonably linked to such information by burdo.net.
2. burdo.net Account
You can edit or terminate your account at any time through your Account settings.
A "cookie" is a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website. When you visit the website again, the cookie allows that site to recognize your browser. Cookies may store user preferences and other information. You can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some website features or services may not function properly without cookies.
4. IP address
Every computer connected to the Internet is assigned a unique number known as an Internet protocol (IP) address. Since these numbers are usually assigned in country-based blocks, an IP address can often be used to identify the country from which a computer is connecting to the Internet.
5. Server logs
Like most Web sites, our servers automatically record the page requests made when users visit our sites. These "server logs" typically include your web request, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
Here is an example of a typical log entry where the classes link is clicked, followed by a breakdown of its parts:
188.8.131.52 - 25/Mar/2003 10:15:32 - http://burdo.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=27 - Firefox 1.0.7; Windows NT 5.1 - 740674ce2123e969
- 184.108.40.206 is the Internet Protocol address assigned to the user by the user's ISP; depending on the user's service, a different address may be assigned to the user by their service provider each time they connect to the Internet;
- 25/Mar/2003 10:15:32 is the date and time of the query;
- http://burdo.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=27 is the requested URL,
- Firefox 1.0.7; Windows NT 5.1 is the browser and operating system being used; and
- 740674ce2123a969 is the unique cookie ID assigned to this particular computer the first time it visited burdo.net. (Cookies can be deleted by users. If the user has deleted the cookie from the computer since the last time s/he visited burdo.net, then it will be the unique cookie ID assigned to the user the next time s/he visits burdo.net from that particular computer).
6. Aggregated non-personal information
"Aggregate non-personal information" is information that is recorded about users and collected into groups so that it no longer reflects or references an individually identifiable user.
7. URLs and embedded information
Some of our services, send the uniform resource locators (""URLs"") of web pages that you request to burdo.net. When you use these services, burdo.net will receive and store the URL sent by the web sites you visit, including any personal information inserted into those URLs by the web site operator.
For example, when you submit information to a web page (such as a user login ID or registration information), the operator of that web site may ""embed"" that information - including personal information - into its URL (typically, after a question mark ("?") in the URL). When the URL is transmitted to burdo.net, our servers automatically store the URL, including any personal information that has been embedded after the question mark. burdo.net does not exercise any control over these web sites or whether they embed personal information into URLs.